- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries, patted dry
- 12 ounces white baking chocolate, finely chopped, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Coarse sugar and red edible glitter
- In a large bowl, combine flour and 1/2 cup sugar; cut in butter until crumbly.
- Knead in the cherries, 2/3 cup white chocolate and extract until dough forms a ball.
- Shape into 3/4-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking
- sheets. Flatten slightly with a glass dipped in remaining sugar.
- Bake at 325° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly
- browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt shortening and remaining white chocolate; stir until smooth.
- Dip half of each cookie into chocolate; allow excess to drip off.
- Place on waxed paper; sprinkle with coarse sugar and edible glitter.
- Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.